religious vultures at the hospital

yesterday my bf’s dad had a stroke, so i scrambled off to milpark hospital. while i was sitting outside the ICU, minding my own business and reading a book, i could not help notice a family in obvious distress.
what i could gather, is that the wife/mother has been ill for three months, and she had a relapse. everyone was crying.
and lo! a bible toting woman comes swooning by, proclaiming that ‘it’s in gods hands now’ and ‘praying will make you feel better’ and so on and so forth.
generally, im i dont get uppity about the regious, but i just felt a fucking fury building inside me. this woman, fokken vroom, with her leather bound collection of bullshit.
i had to keep myself from commenting out loudly, and i was actually looking forward to running into the bullshit monger in the aisles somehwere, so i can take her on.
maybe it was the stress of the day, the atmosphere of general misery in the place, or my own guilt-feeling for when my own dad died, but that religious bullshit just pissed me off to such an extent, that i was ready to jump and and yell ‘liar!!’ at this female.

~end of rant~

almost wish (almost) that it was me sitting there being unhappy and the shits come with their clappy crap… I’d have a wonderful time releasing the stress of the moment. On the other hand, who has strength for this shit when you’re in such distress, and thats exactly what religion does, catch them vulnerable and convert, convert, convert…

When my Mom went for her cancer treatment last year, I also beat them off with a stick, got very snotty the moment they just deemed to glance at me.

Speaking of cancer - its the cancathon today, do go have a hairspray/cut done. Its the one charity that I’m confident that the money goes where its supposed to.

That’s EXACTLY how I’ve been feeling. I’ve been making regular visits to various departments (ICU, critical care, back to ICU, into neurosurgery, back to critical care…) of a hospital lately because of a similar situation. Somehow seeing religion “in action” during an actual life and death situation just makes the blood boil.

Good luck with the situation GCG, I wish you guys the best.

On occasion when I was hospitalised one of these wandering preachers came into our ward and started preaching and praying with a patient directly opposite me. I got the impression that the patient was uncomfortable about it, so I got out of my bed, pushed the stand with the drip across the floor and asked the patient if he knew this preacher. He did not and neither had he invited him. I then accused this preacher of exploiting the weak to push his religion. He mumbled that he was just leaving, and left.

These nuts should not be allowed to wander around hospital wards. When a visitor enters a hospital, it should be stipulated who he/she is about to visit.

how the hell does security let these people wander around the hospitals? how they know these arent freaks who will abduct babies and shit? i mean, this woman was outside the ICU. and now that i think about it, it was very handy of her to have her bible handy. i thought that maybe she was their pastor or something. i wonder now if she was one of these ‘wandering woos’, and randomly harassing people. fuck, i wish she had come to harass me, i would have had a field day!
there might be time yet for me to pounce on her reilgious ass yet. sunday is coming… and visiting time is longer…

these fuckers are all over the place and deem themselves ‘called’ to save us poor clots: I was on a plane to Jhb a few days ago and this somewhat strange little Indian gentleman was sitting next to me…when he spoke to me I didn’t understand him and only later figured he’s pissed…next to him sat a Afrikaans dude from Amanzimtoti: a parson! He commenced to ask this guy what will become of him when he dies: the Indian guy says “No I’m dead” This fucker says" not in all eternity: “Give your life to Jesus, and be saved” then he proceeded to pray for this oke: Jisses the poor bugger was so overwhelmed…he started crying…the parson says: "Jesus put us next to each other for a reason’ I thought to myself (kept quiet throughout) Jou Bliksem, Satan’s disciple sit hierdie kant…forehead is still sore from slapping… >:(

i would not have held my trap. brian. jy weet mos. especially in a situation where i have to sit and listen to this shit. if i wasnt sensitive to people’s pain in the hospital, and not wanting to rock the allready rickety boat, i would have interrupted that woman mid-preach.
there was nearly a debate at a work-dinner a few weeks ago. luckily the food came quickly, and i was fully engrossed in prawns soon. old gavin, my colleage, was giving the side-eye, as to say ‘dont fucking start’. but with a strong african contingent at the table, i doubt it would have been a good debate in any case.

Where one has the stomach and the patience for it, perhaps one should reply along these lines: “I’m a bit stumped, actually. First your deity makes me/my loved one sick and now you want me to help you ask him for relief and healing. Is that because he’s so vain or just forgetfulness?”

The problem with this approach, of course, is that it cannot but invite a stupor-inducing “debate” because these dopes don’t understand sarcasm.

'Luthon64

It is not just the vultures who visit looking for victims, some work in the hospitals!

http://forum.skeptic.za.org/profile/?u=278;sa=showPosts;start=45