Searching for Sugarman

Anyone seen this?

Saw it yesterday and then had to watch it a second time. Blew my mind!

Scallywag and I watched it twice as well–some tears shed on both occasions. It reminded me of my early days, and I had introduced the music to Scallywag when we started dating about 13 years ago, so even though ‘cold fact’ came out at about the time she was born (I was in the army, I think) we listen to his music often. The movie was a higher budget remake of an earlier documentary flighted on M-net a few years ago called, if I recall correctly, ‘Searching for Jesus’.

It’s such a pity that the music industry so cynically took advantage of a naive artist.

The dude from Sussex records in the movie was quite a sly fox, so I won’t be surprised if the money ends with him. I will also not be surprised if (some of) the money didn’t go much further than the three South African record companies either.

But strangely the Sussex dude was right, it ain’t (so much) about the money. It sounds like Rodriguez is doing fine and still giving the money away, still living in the same house. It is a blooming real life fairy tale.

I’m so making my (Korean) wife watch this! :smiley:

I see he has been on Leno and Letterman and 60 minutes now, plus a possible academy award for the movie and he is playing gigs in America. He gets his dues which is awesome. Talk about a prophet not recognized in his own country!

The irony here is that he was probably not big in America because of racism and big here because of racism… something I cannot back up with anything other than a feeling and a suspicion so take that for what it is worth, which is nuffin >:D

I tried to get tickets for his February show but they are all sold out…

They’ve been advertising that they’re putting on an extra show or two (in Cape Town). I don’t know where you are, but they may do that in your area too. I can’t go to concerts on account of my ochlophobia, but I can always listen to the music…

in Cape Town so I’ll check it out for sure.

never been to any show really, my favorite artist (if I have such) Bon Jovi, is coming to South Africa and I only gave it a cursory thought to actually go see them. After the movie I made a serious attempt to buy a ticket for the Cape Town Rodriques’ show, this story stirred something in me ;D

btw the lady at the censor department or whatever it was called, was quite funny. She couldn’t say drugs!

lol!!

I recommend this movie to anyone who hasn’t seen it yet.

Ag julle, you guys has sommer made me veel jong again!

On the first post I was like WHO?, WHAT?

Then saw the link and learned it’s about some dude called Rodriguez. A movie nogal.

I’ll see if I can “source” it.

Decent documentary. Pity about the crappy soundtrack.

Either you are saying it was *badly done or that you don’t like the Rod? if the former I am in no position to judge; if the latter we’ll have to agree to disagree :smiley:

*The swiss dude who made it did say in an interview on 60 minutes that he shot most of the movie on his Iphone and did his own editing and animation. kudos to him if true.

Was well done. I’ve never been a fan (to put it mildly), even though I’m exactly the generation the movie is about. Maybe I didn’t smoke enough weed as a teen, or something… :wink:

It has won the Oscar for best documentary!

(The small golden dude not the bloody legless dude) [pun kinda intended]

Probably not… it is entirely possible that I lost my virginity on “I Wonder” under the water tower up on the hill overlooking Jhb. As it is, I cant “quite” remember… :-[

Nostalgia. We used to listen to Rodriques along with ACDC, Rolling Stones,Black Sabbath, Gloria Estefan, Tiffany and Depeche Mode. Gods, we were confused…

Bah, I listen to any genre of music providing that it’s good (I enjoy it).

Going to see this guy in concert tonight at the PE stadium. But what will the rain do? I wonder …

And??? Was it worth your while and did the rain stay away?

It did rain mid concert for about ten minutes, but it was really no biggie. In a way it provided a good backdrop for the slightly melancholic song that was performed at the time!
The concert itself met with my approval. The crowd was noticibly homogenous, consisting of white people “of a certain age” sporting Led Zeppelin tees. All the youngsters (forty five and under) insisted on singing along when Sugarman came on. Very cool show.

Rigil

I missed all of that fun stuff. My teenage rebellion consisted of switching from Mozart and Beethoven to Bartok and Stravinsky. :smiley:

:smiley:

So define old for me please!

Ja but you must remember that metabolism is slow in the EC. ::slight_smile:

I’m with Lock on this manufactroversy: Rodriguez may have prompted many a SA youth to think about the country’s socio-political climate and he probably inspired many of the local music acts of the 70s and 80s who were the regular targets of the Security Police, but he had no first-hand involvement in the Struggle. In fact, he didn’t even know he’d made it big in SA until Segerman started making his documentary.

'Luthon64