Self Esteem of Woman

I am seeing video’s and articles about stuff like this more and more.
Woman in general do not have confidence in their body or what they have achieved.

http://www.hefty.co/love-your-body/

I always wonder on what the cause of this could be?
Sure, everyone can blame Hollywood and their representation of what perfection should be.
But maybe its something that is left over from a time where women were not seen as worthy and didn’t have rights? And that feeling never left.
Children pick up what people around them feel and how they behave, so maybe that has a role to in the end?

Women has and always will be concerned with their bodies and looks. How else do we attract the attention of a man? The older we get, the less we concern ourselves with looks and rather start focusing on looking decent and neat instead.

Comparison to stars and whatnot does influence the younger women or girls, but their self esteem is likely to be already frail because of other factors. The majority of women 35 plus are mostly unaffected by external pressures.

As for achievement and being loathe to accept success is possibly both due to a cultural and religious upbringing. In SA it is still not quite accepted that a woman earns more than a man, and even women will question other women as to their intentions and warn that “you are going to lose your man”. So there is enormous pressure to not step outside the cultural boundaries.

The big issue imo is the way we bring up our children, both the boys and the girls. Every single little girl grow up with fairy tales of the knight in shining armour that will rescue them and keep them safe. There is not a single disney princess who sorted herself out, so what message is that?

Anyway, I can go on and on about this because I see so much of it in session. It will never change, women do this to themselves, and then to their daughters and it will be a continuous cycle until infinity…

I prefer People will always be concerned with their bodies and looks. We should stop saying this is something uniquely female, because it simply is not. Also that “hollywood” or “the media” place unrealistic expectations on women only. Do you really think they don’t place unrealistic expectations on men?

I think men are just way more effective at tuning this out as the garbage that it is.

How else do we attract the attention of a man?

You think the dude above doesn’t work out to attract the attention of females?

But yes this is historic conditioning at work, That their sexuality and home-making skills are the only things women can bring to the table in a relationship. Nowadays women can earn the same as, or more than men, so that assumption does not hold any more. BUT it takes society a long time to adjust. Attitudes don’t shift in step with reality. Unfortunately.

Every single little girl grow up with fairy tales of the knight in shining armour that will rescue them and keep them safe. There is not a single disney princess who sorted herself out, so what message is that?

“Brave” is an awesome step in the right direction though. The animated movie makers are sitting up and taking note.

It will never change, women do this to themselves

Agreed but I’m not that pessimistic about the outcome though.

I’m old fashioned in that way, and prefer a woman who doesn’t bring her sexuality to the table. Or at the very least, not until the cheese board is cleared.

Rigil

Don’t you watch any movies or television? This is achieved with one swift arm movement.

Have you ever tried lifting embedded esrom from heavy curtain fabric? No sex is worth all THAT effort. :wink:

Rigil

Actually, there are better ways to attract a man. The men that you want to attract are the one’s that are attracted to your mind and not your body. I think men pick up on a woman’s personality right away. :smiley:

Maybe it’s just the people that surround me or where I live. But I have had the opposite effect, people generally see a House Wife as less worthy.

I think you are a very optimistic woman!:smiling_face:

The question is “how does she feel about herself?” If it is her choice and feel fulfilled, then she would judge the critisism as irrelevant in her life.