SITPs Beer

My two sons and I are now the proud owners of Shongweni Brewery Pty Ltd, producers of the award winning bottle conditioned Robson’s Real Beers, so all you SITP supporters can order Robson’s Durban Pale Ale; West Coast Ale; East Coast Ale and Wheat Beer and shortly also our Durban Pilsner when you get together for your meetings (if the pubs/restaurants don’t stock it let me know)…also available at Makro’s; Spar Tops and Pick 'n Pay country wide. Thought you should know! ;D
Website http://www.shongwenibrewery.com/

the website needs updating… need help?

Super - will keep an eye out. Does the brewing process still honour the traditional Reinheitsgebot, or has it become obsolete in these modern times? :slight_smile:

Rigil

The Rheinheitsgebot merely states that only water, hops, barley (yeast was not mentioned!) may be used in brewing: it doesn’t say what you must do during the brewing process but does prohibit the use of chemicals etc. Our brewing process is more traditional in the sense that yes we use only barley etc as prescribed but allow the beer to go into a secondary fermentation process after bottling. Windhoek Lager (Rheinheidsgebot) filter and pasteurise their beer as does SAB: we don’t. The yeast in the bottle serves as a natural source of CO2instead of being artificially carbonated and in addition acts as a natural anti-biotic. This means our beers have a shelf life of 36 months as opposed to 3-6 months for Castle etc.
Our hops is the real thing, imported from Europe and the US; our crystal malt from the UK and yeast from original suppliers in Europe as well (some of these strains are more than 400 years old!)We source our pale malted barley from SAB Maltsters. In other words our process doesn’t use syrup extracts as per home brews.

Sounds awesome. I rather like those brews with the cloudiness to them. Will try and visit Makro this week sometime!

Hope you find some: am loading 100 boxes today for Gauteng. By the way, except for our wheat beer, all beers are indeed clear not cloudy unless you shake them around. The yeast goes to sleep when no sugar can be found to play with and settles down on the bottom; so when you pour you do so with bottle tilted at 45 degrees and stop just before the yeast is poured. Then you get a clear tasty beer

Sweet, looks like I’m going to be neglecting Gilroy’s for a bit. :wink:

I’ve had unbelievably bad luck procuring a sample of this liquid. I’ve been to both Makro and a number of Topses, but no luck. Just about all the shopkeepers are aware of the brand, but were all out at the time. :’( Apparently it comes in a nice sized bottle too! Will keep trying.

Rigil

I get sooo pissed off with the distributors: still waiting for them to place their March orders and having to chase up payments for January deliveries. If you know of any reliable distributors in Gauteng besides these pls let me know. Also do chains such as SPAR Tops bottlestores have central buying facilities?? I can deliver to them at much more competitive prices if I cut out the middle man. ??? I choon them tomorrow.

I’d be surprised if they didn’t, although it must be said that my last fling with supermarket retail was when I worked as an in-store baker in the mid 90’s.

Rigil