Ok, so, clearly it’s the topic of the day, so let’s talk about that. A bit of the context:
(15:54:45) Faerie: One could argue that an idiot who means well is the lesser of two evils. Personally though (15:54:59) Faerie: Trump scares the bejesus out of me (15:56:03) Faerie: The man is going to do exactly what he says, and he is going to turn around and exclaim: (15:56:41) Faerie: "But I told you I'm going to do it and you agreed by voting for me" (15:59:57) Faerie: On a lighter note: http://9gag.com/gag/aG0eXrK (16:16:05) brianvds: "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956) (16:25:23) BoogieMonster: Oh yeah this is a total disaster. But it's an understandable disaster. (16:27:53) BoogieMonster: I don't find myself as mystified as everyone else. (16:28:44) BoogieMonster: The left lost their way, and they got slammed for it. (16:43:20) brianvds: Yup, over the past decade or two, bit by bit, the Democratic party turned itself into the Republican party, and thought the voters would just never notice. They were wrong.
So, everyone I talk to have reasons they think that Trump got where he is, but yours is quite unique. In most people’s estimations the left went MUCH TOO FAR left into fascist country, and having very popular candidates that are openly socialist (Bernie), blindly trumpeting the cause of minorities to an absolute fault, etc. Of course, there is the horseshoe effect to contend with: Once you go far enough left or right you start curving back to the opposite side: Like suddenly “liberals” become authoritarians who want to ban certain speech. Is this what you’re referring to?
I think the Trump supremacy is multi-faceted:
- It’s blowback from a decade plus of making everyone who is not an outright bleeding heart socialist to be a racist, homophobic, transphobic piece of human trash.
- Black Lives Matter running amok whilst apologists White Knight for them.
- … all the while I see a lot of black people revolting against this and voting Trump in defiance: “don’t speak for us”.
- The SJW movement taking over the countries’ discourse in universities and the media.
- The liberal media and Hollywood running vicious smear campaigns (the full extent of which is now becoming clearly visible) against the republican party and Trump in particular. (I try to keep up with American talk-shows, it’s really one-sided).
- 24hr non-stop assaults on the 2nd ammendment (the right to bear arms).
- Bailing out, and paying out of huge bonusses to rich bankers who seem immune from consequence whilst their economy melts.
- … and the politicians who seem to be enabling them.
- Edward Snowden, Julian Assange.
- The spread of Atheism, to be frank… The republicans desperately “want god back”.
- ½ their country not voting because the polls lied. (My opinion)
… and then came the guy who promised to break it all down. He said a lot of other really crazy shit too, but the enemy of my enemy…
These are the reasons I think Trump won. What are yours?