The great global food gap in pictures

This is an interesting article about the contrasts in the eating habits of 30 families around the world and showing what they buy every week.

I think the two photos that stand out the most for me are the ones of the family of 12 from Bhutan and the family of 4 from Germany and the difference in the amount of food they buy to get through the week.

It is also interesting to note who lives on processed food, and who lives on mostly fresh foods. Considering how much sugar andf other refined carbs there are in processed food, another interesting statistic would be the average weight of the people… :slight_smile:

There is no way those Germans eat all that in one week.
But food looks expensive in some places.

Id say we spend an avg of R500 to R800 on food a week. How about you guys?

Interesting stuff mdg,thanks for linking.

About right, yes. But that also includes the run-of-the-mill non food grocery items like toiletries and cleaning products. What’s that in English money … about 30 to 40 #?

Rigil

I spend on average R500 at the local Spar every week for bread/milk and whatever I ran out of grocery wise (and chocolates - we have a chocolate in the lunch box every day).

My meat bill comes to around R1000 per month and the rest of the groceries which includes cleaning materials to around R2000 in total.

We head out to makro once a month and usually hit about 1.8k to 2k. This includes all our meat, which I buy in bulk and repackage into freezer bags and freeze.

Other than that we spend prob about R400 after that spread out over the month at the greengrocer. (Fruit, Veg and Bread refuses to abide by my once-a-month shopping schedule)

But yeah I have no idea on food alone, since the above trip includes absolutely everything we need, and we try to buy at least one “nice-to-have” kitchen accessory a month (plastic containers, glass jugs, whatever happens to be aging a bit like pans, etc).

There are three of us in my household–two human adults and a dog–and we spend about R1300 a week on groceries and household shopping, including booze and food. We eat a lot of meat, though. I’m on a low-carb diet, so I eat expensive stuff.