The little comet that could ...

http://apocalypse.alamongordo.com/

Watch the video. On the face of it, it looks like a watertight argument for panic. But hang on … what was that assumption again ??? …

Some more about the space thingy over here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2010_X1

Mintaka

I can’t see the video on account of the paternalistic overlords exercising their right to be annoying dickheads, but I couldn’t help noticing the garish colour scheme and giant fonts that seem to be a hallmark of this sort of site. Are there any psychologists on the list who could do some research into the correlation between crackpothood and a total lack of any aesthetic sense?

If you have the stomach for it, browse the woo-woo shelves in your local bookshop. The dominant colour motif consists of black, purple and gold leaf. Presumably, this combination is favoured by deities, aliens, workers of assorted magic and mystical beings alike.

'Luthon64

If you have the stomach for it, browse the woo-woo shelves in your local bookshop. The dominant colour motif consists of black, purple and gold leaf.

And my personal favourite, rainbow transmission holographic colour.

I’ve known more than one web designer who proclaims that an appreciation of design in the general populace is … lacking. Correlation is not causation folks. Bad design happens like wildfire and I know a couple of people with drinking problems because of it.

See here.

Note: I SUCK at design and I know it. But that is half the battle.

Getting back to the topic, the narrator of the video assumes that the object has a very large mass, so much so as to have gravitational effects on the earth. He calls it a brown dwarf. I cannot, however, quite make out why he doubts that the object is anything but a comet. He does not really offer any evidence for it being a massive body, unless I missed something.

Mintaka

GODDAMMIT. i will now have to spend the rest of my day trolling this site.

The video mentions the earthquakes which caused major damage in Chili, Christchurch and Japan, then claims that on all three these occasions the sun, earth and comet were in alignment. Even if this is true, it fails to mention that there have been 52 earthquakes that were as strong or stronger than the Christchurch one (M=6.3) over this period; even one on the same south island of NZ. See here.

This reminds me of a little paperback by Gribbin & Plagemann called “The Jupiter Effect”, which I have had to resist throwing out of the window. They predicted that a particular alignment of planets would trigger a big 'quake on the San Andreas fault on 10 March 1982. I haven’t got far enough to fathom what their argument is, but see mention of Earth tides and solar winds.

I’ve just found an updated table showing the frequency of earthquakes worldwide for particular magnitude ranges:

Magnitude Average Annually
8 and higher 1
7 - 7.9 15 [just over 1 event per month]
6 - 6.9 134 [about 1 event every 3 days]
5 - 5.9 1319 [between 3 and 4 events per day]
4 - 4.9 13,000
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/eqstats.php

I predict that the planet will have an event of magnitude 6.5 over the next few days. And a magnitude 5.5 somewhere tomorrow.