The little things that irk us so

Ignorant AND stupid people. The one I can deal with, the other, not. Our Tealady here at work has just been diagnosed HIV positive. No biggie, she’s employed at a corporate company that generally try to look after their people, and she’ll have cheap (if not free) access to the necessary medications and constant checkups at the clinic here at work. We also have a continual educational drive regarding HIV in the workplace, and people really, at this point of time, know what it is all about. So this stupid little PA comes to my desk and tells me we need to lay this girl off because she washes our cups and will infect the lot of us…

The bitter and twisted that thinks the world owes them |-O

oh fuck me. SHE needs to be fired because she is discriminatory. i hope you plan to report her to HR.

She reported herself to HR, that being me, what I did do, which caused her much annoyance and myself much pleasure, was to book her in for an HIV/AIDS educational course. She stomped off in a huff. ;D

Job well done!

10 out 0f 10! I love it!

Good one!

With someone this ill-informed, training rarely takes properly, if at all. Still, she’ll be doubly grateful to you if she’s in any way a prude… ::slight_smile:

'Luthon64

Yeah, they have practical sessions where you dress a banana with a condom. I always enjoy presenting those!

kudos sister. would love to have been a fly on the wall. would also like to be around when she gets a turn with the banana. better still. get the biggest, blackest, most veiney, dildo you can get your hands on.

Yeah, and get HIM to give her the banana!

GCG, a question for you, possibly with a philosophical bent: If stainless steel tea spoons were suspected but unproven vectors for the HIV, would the PA’s comment still be discriminatory?

Rigil

in english please.
and if you mean what i think you mean. if you have two braincells to rub together, then you would know, that if sharing a toilet-seat cant give you HIV, then sharing cutlery wont either. unless you plan to consume a teaspoon full of an HIV carrier’s gob. and you have an open sore in your mouth.
I shared an office/camera/vehicle/coffee cups/cutlery/fridge with a guy at my previous office, who nearly died of AIDS. Another lady patched his bleeding hand without wearing gloves. Nobody in the office got HIV. We hug him, shake his hand. An an office of 20 people, of different ages and health conditions, nobody got HIV from him.
so, stainless steel teaspoons are not an unproven ‘vector’. so the argument is moot.

It was a hypothetical question asking whether calling for the tea lady’s dismissal would be discriminatory even if some significant aspect of her work potentially increased the chances of spreading HIV appreciably, i.e. if she potentially could endanger employees’ health.

The answer is “Yes, it would still be discriminatory because ‘discrimination’ as an offence is something that exists only in law, and is governed by laws and statutes that have not changed. Everything else being equal, the suspicion, no matter how well-founded, that stainless steel teaspoons may be HIV vectors is legally irrelevant until such time as the law explicitly addresses it, and it does not affect the tea lady’s ability to perform her duties properly. The tea lady in any case has other means by which she could potentially endanger employees’ health. Moreover, the law does not deal with what might or could be, only with what is or what was done. It would be entirely at the employer’s and the employees’ discretion, not the law’s, to implement strategies and procedures that reduce or eliminate the possibility of HIV transmission and the fear of infection. This could include people supplying teaspoons for their own exclusive use that they themselves are responsible for.”

'Luthon64

Spread sheets that kick off on cell A1. This must be a hang up left over from primary school when we were forced to draw a neat margin on the left with our KPA-CPA issue rulers.

Rigil

I don’t understand. What do you mean by “kick off” and if you mean that that is where the focus is when you open a new spread sheet then where would you prefer it to be?

B2??? >:D

St0nes, by “kick off on” I mean to populate the spreadsheet with data starting at a certain cell. To my eyes, data look better not scrunched up against the side, and the top. Faerie’s suggestion of starting on B2 hits the spot 100%.

Rigil

Employers who don’t have lives and are happy to meet at last gasp hour of the day leaving you to sit and twiddle your thumbs waiting for urgent press announcement changes while they agonise over grammar, commas, placing of decimal points and whether paper size should be A4 or Legal. Eventually 2 hours later they emerge, spend another half hour fiddling with the damned thing then pop out with changes that are so mind-numbingly trivial it makes me want to vom.

One thing that irks me often is using language so badly that it makes no sense, and automatically assuming that the other party is familiar with the intent so it doesn’t matter.

Recent example is the use of ‘almost half’ in advertising to mean more than half. If a product is selling at 60% of the old price they will advertise it at ‘almost half the price’.

I would assume that they are doing this deliberately, knowing that it gives the impression it is more of a bargain than it really is.

loud office mates. office mates that talk about their sex-life. all. the. time.