the nature of comedy

i was waiting for someone else to latch onto this, but it seems, not so.

old ricky gervais had a beauty of a closing speach at the golden globes. where he ended proceedings with the pearl ‘…and thank god for making me an atheist’

i wish i could embed the youtube clip, but i cant access it from work.

now, since i have been trolling interwebs from my S/O’s pc, i have been watching plenty comedy on youtube. and i seem to find a thread here. seems like a whole bunch of comedians, have taken an atheist stance.
and i wonder, when one takes the piss out of life for a living, and basically ridicule pretty much every aspects of human existance, isnt a natural evolution of thought, to then start taking the piss out of religion? then, as you progress, and start seeing the silliness of it all, then have to come to the conclusion, that religion is complete crap, and thus, in effect, god is a made-up element?
is it the inevitable destination of the comedian, or the fan of comedy, to eventually find the truth about religion?

old casper die vries was on Fresh’s afternoon drive show on 5fm. toting openly his atheism. by the sound of it, there is a movie in pipeline, where he takes the piss out of religion, called ‘the unholy ghost’.
now, i generally thingk casper is a d005, but 10 points for his open-ness on radio, and then, with the tv to the power of 5 on fridays, on national tellie as well.

and the debate is allready going like a boeng: http://www.causes.com/causes/543066-casper-de-vries-is-walglik

i find all this extremely amusing, since people laugh themselves moeg at his humour, and he can get very vulgar, and tote him as the best thing since sliced bread, and those very same farkers, will now take up the banner against him, because he is insulting their ‘father’. pardon while i vomit in my mouth.

Casper’s shows are quite unoriginal imho. He makes money out of saying “poep” and then having prim-and-proper afrikaners laugh because saying poep is funny, obviously.

I sat through a show of his some years ago, and found it thoroughly yawn-worthy; whilst also intrigued by the enormous response he was able to draw from the rest of the crowd.

BUT I do admire him for being openly gay, atheist, and not apologising for exercising his freedom of speech. His style is just, not for me.

Now that you mention it though, comedians that I like: George Carlin, Doug Stanhope, are very anti-religious. But, a counterpoint for me is Bill Hicks, who seemed very etherial to me during his “life is just a ride” speech, almost implying re-incarnation, and frequently talked about “what god would want”, etc… BUT he did like to take the mickey out of fundementalism, so max respect anyway.

Here’s my view: I’m an atheist therefore the more hardcore comedians stand out for me. I don’t “do” Bill Cosby, for instance…