The Pitch Drop Experiment

That’s a “cool” experiment, reminds me of a common misconception: Glass does not flow over the centuries, it behaves like a solid.

I can’t count the number of times I’ve had to point this out to the chagrin of bystanders at parties. (Aside: I’m not always that popular at parties.)

I usually try to mitigate shooting down their cool “long time” fact by providing my own: There’s a project to build a 10,000 year clock.

I seem to remember having seen, at a flea market, old bottles from garbage dumps that were deformed in all manner of ways, as if the steady pressure from garbage above them had slowly deformed them. Perhaps heat in the dump slightly melted them?

Also, in some ares one can see sedimentary rocks that were presumably originally straight layers, deformed into wavy forms without much in the way of cracking. Rock consists pretty much of the same stuff as glass.

So if glass cannot flow, I have to wonder how I explain the above two observations?

Or perhaps heat from the seller’s blowtorch…

Also, in some ares one can see sedimentary rocks that were presumably originally straight layers, deformed into wavy forms without much in the way of cracking. Rock consists pretty much of the same stuff as glass.

I have no frikkin clue, but solids can bend. Moreover I wonder if it couldn’t be formed by a process similar to bimetals, where layers of different material expand and contract to different degrees in response to the same amount of heat, producing a bend.

Rocks usually deform in response to stresses from a variety of tectonic forces. Folded and warped strata often show signs of cracking but the cracks were filled by subsequent geological activity. In other cases, metamorphic processes (heat, pressure) change the rock’s properties, including its mechanical ones, and these rocks can behave visco-plastically and deform without cracking if the deformation is sufficiently gradual.

As to the question of what the material phase nature of glass is, the situation is, as ever, hardly as black-and-white as we’d like it to be.

'Luthon64

Mmmm…

Surprisingly, the handsome Rigil attended the party after all, and on arrival the flustered hostess tentatively and visco-plastically draped herself around his broad shoulders in welcoming embrace.

Kent must be a patient man to tolerate such creepy sliding behaviour by a springy non-linear dashpot. :wink:

'Luthon64

It was sheer stress, I kid you not. :smiley: