This is blackmail...

and its annoying me. I got this sms yesterday:

We're pleased 2 inform u XDS, 1 of SA's leading credit comps would like 2 give Vodacom ur info 4 RICA. Should u wish 2 optout from giving ur info reply NO-XDS

Now, several things about this annoys me. Firstly, I need to TELL them I dont want them to give my info out - which means I have to return an sms (which costs money)to an unsolicited message in the first place.

Secondly, where the hell did they get my info from? You need to take proof of residency as well as the sim number in order to RICA, so they have this? WTF?

Thirdly, they cant spell, and nothing annoys me more than receiving crappy sms’ such as this, I wont even reply to my kids if they send me rubbish spelling and/or grammar.

Fourthly, there is no contact number aside from where the sms was sent from, and that one when called tells me it does not exist.

So I cant go and sh*t on someone’s head about it either.

I have decided though, that I’ll be cancelling my cellphone contract in its entirety. I can live without it.

I’m gonna start causing kak for these motherfuckers. Also getting gatvol.

Electronic Communications and Transactions Act. 2002
Chapter VII - Consumer Protection

1. Unsolicited goods, services or communications
  1.    Any person who sends unsolicited commercial communications to consumers, must provide the consumer 

a) with the option to cancel his or her subscription to the mailing list of that person; and

b) with the identifying particulars of the source from which that person obtained the consumer’s personal information, on request of the consumer.

1.    No agreement is concluded where a consumer has failed to respond to an unsolicited communication.

2.    Any person who fails to comply with or contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence and liable, on conviction, to the penalties prescribed in section 89(1).

3.    Any person who sends unsolicited commercial communications to a person who has advised the sender that such communications are unwelcome, is guilty of an offence and liable, on conviction, to the penalties prescribed in section 89(1).

If I’m not mistaken, XDS is a credit bureau like TU-ITC or Experian. There is a “Contact us” link on their main page and if it is they who sent you the SMS, just threaten to report them to the National Credit Regulator for breach of privacy. That’ll scare the living daylights out of them.

'Luthon64

I googled them and sent them an e-mail. Will await their response in anticipation…

Sometimes I wish I had my very own B52, chokka with laser-guided Mk.84s.

Or an AC-130 Spectre gunship. Damn, I’d have fun. FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

Whoops! Posted ^^^that^^^ on the wrong forum… :wink: >:D

Got nothing to do with XDS or the illiterate cunts who run it!

surely, it’s an invasion of privacy.
i had a call from vodacom last week, saying that since im such a good customer, they want to offer me some or other something.
im like, how did you get this number (it is a vodacom number, but pay as you go, and not rica’d)
he says that they have my number coz i registered it blah blah blah.
im like, notta fuck. i have never registered my name with anyone on this number.
so he says, but you have been on this number since 2007.
uh, no. i’ve had this number from feb this year, and i removed the simcard from the sealed packet myself.
but this guy doesnt give up!
he says, yes, but you are using a this and that fone, which was true, and and and.
had a similar story with my bank, wanting to sell me shit.
so i recon, the banks/cellphone companies/whoever, outsource sales companies, and whatever information you had entered with your bank/facebook/online surveys/insurance companies…etc, is public property, and they have your whole life in front of them.
i think it is absolute bullshit.
i have a problem with assholes stuffing your mailbox to the brim flyers and shit, so that i have to empty my postbox, coz there is no space for actual mail.

Actually, it seems to be a bit worse even than an invasion of privacy in Faerie’s case. It looks like a sneaky transgression of the confidentiality regulations that bind the credit bureaus. The credit bureaus may not give out any personal data, including contact details, to a third party unless the affected person has consented either explicitly or implicitly. Explicit consent would be something like a signed letter authorising the bureau to furnish entity X with your credit data. Implicit consent is whenever you approach a credit provider (which can include shops like Game, Edgars, Joshua Doore, etc.) and request a line of credit on some purchase, i.e. when you wish to pay off a purchase in instalments, which entitles the credit provider to access your credit history in order to decide whether to grant your request, and how. If you do not request a line of credit, the vendor may not access your credit profile at any of the bureaus.

The rub here is that the SMS Faerie received looks like XDS might be doing some marketing on behalf of a third-party vendor and that vendor is paying XDS to campaign for new clients. They are prohibited from doing so because it means, in effect, that they are using your details (without your explicit or implicit consent) to the advantage of another, even if they are not directly divulging the data to that party. Having thought about it, I would now raise this issue directly with the National Credit Regulator. If that fails, you can complain to the Credit Information Ombudsman.

'Luthon64

Now I’m embroiled in an argument with my employer. They want my personal details updated on the BCM database because I need to be contactable in case of emergency. I refuse. Its THEIR bloody emergency, not mine, and I’m not employed to deal with their flooded basements or caved in roof. Its also their “red” rating. My audit ratings are all green, not my fault they’re working in an idiotic department.

They not only INSIST that I put on my private cell and home number, but also those of a “close” relative or my S/O, as well as any private email addy’s I might have. They can go fish for guppies in the sea.

I’m probably unreasonable here, but really, I’m quite fed up with people demanding my personal information simply because it suits them or it seems like a good idea at the time.

Have a look at the employment contract you signed to see if this explicitly entitles your employer to such info. (It doesn’t matter if you’re a contractor or fulltime employee.) If your contract doesn’t include such a clause (or you don’t have a signed employment contract at all), the provisions of the Basic Conditions of Employment Act become ruling, and your employer doesn’t have a case in terms of any legislation. Remind them of that.

'Luthon64

Now THIS is blackmail on a massive scale…wonder how many SA officials benefited from this Worldcup 2010?: http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guardian.co.uk%2Ffootball%2F2010%2Fdec%2F01%2Ffifa-government-government-exemptions&h=3568c

The absolute cheek of it…exempt us or else!
Down with Fifa and the charlatans

Blocked at work. Quote for me please!

Here it is Faerie (didn’t want to hijack your thread)

FIFA has demanded an exemption from a key element of UK money-laundering legislation as part of the government guarantees required in relation to the England 2018 bid.

Digger has obtained a list of the guarantees that were signed off by the government as part of the bid book delivered to Fifa in May and can reveal the presence of an incredible carve-out from existing laws. Guarantee 5, of eight areas of demands that Fifa has detailed for governments, relates to Bank & Foreign Exchange Operations. Section 5.B is entitled “Foreign Exchange Undertakings” and states that the government must provide for “the unrestricted import and export of all foreign currencies to and from the UK, as well as the unrestricted exchange and conversion of these currencies into US dollars, euros or Swiss francs”.

The allowance would apply to hundreds of individuals ranging from the delegates and staff of Fifa, its confederations and member associations, match officials, as well as an unspecified number of unnamed “Fifa Listed Individuals”.

Yet quite what the carve-out would be needed for is unexplained, and no such requirements were required by the International Olympic Committee for London 2012. What is clear is that they permit Fifa and those it anoints to be exempt from a major element of the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002. That states: “A customs officer or constable may seize any cash if he has reasonable grounds for suspecting that it is, recoverable [stolen] property, or intended by any person for use in unlawful conduct.”

But if England 2018 wins and the government guarantees to Fifa are incorporated in law, customs officers must just wave it through. Indeed, this is just one of a long list of Fifa demands. The BBC revealed on Monday the existence of exemptions that will provide full UK entry-visa clearance and a tax saving worth hundreds of millions of pounds. No wonder Fifa stated the UK government has “certain reservations and qualifications to four government guarantees as contained in the government legal statement”.

Guilty. For a small business delivering flyers around the neighbourhood is a good way of building brand awareness as well as alerting potential customers to special offers. If you put a “No Junk Mail” notice on your mailbox I will respect that and not leave a flyer. Perhaps you should try that?

What really irritates me is those envelopes with “cheques” inside, and when you open it you’ve been “pre-approved” for a loan. They come every month like clockwork. Lately i’ve also been getting phone calls and sms’s about loans. I wonder how many people take up those offers; if i needed a loan i’d hotfoot it to the bank instead of waiting for something to come through my mailbox. I’m also beginning to wonder if this practice is completely legal. I should do some research and find out, since i work for a bank after all! (although in my defence, not in banking and not in a customer facing role)