Which one is modern medicine: Allopathy or Homeopathy?

Hi there Nance old girl - long time no see.

Maybe you could help. One of my many companies is suffering from a lack of imaginative product development. I mentioned this just the other day, and am considering getting Rwenzori Universal Panaceas LLC to investigate peddling Virodene. You might remember Virodene - some industrial gunk with a tendency to kill off HIV along with the person infected. Do you think it might be effective in little homeopathic doses? That would certainly keep our costs down - we would not have to buy so much of the shit. Let me know.

PS. Just ignore the others here, and all their criticism - the place is infested with homeophobes.

That should be “homoeophobes.” And said infestation is perfectly understandable, given how there’s so much about homoeopathy that’s queer…

'Luthon64

A kind review :wink:

This article covers a 200 year old pseudo science that has been well and truly tested and found wanting by the scientific community. It’s based on theories that, in order for them to work, would require a rewrite of the laws and theories behind physics, chemistry and biology.

The article is bogus.

An even kinder review here, though of homoeopathy itself rather than of Malik’s article. It commits a number of fallacies in the hope of appearing balanced. The write-up characterises a dangerous kind of journalism by holding out the extremely unlikely hope that homoeopathy might actually work and that everyone should decide the question for themselves. One wonders whether the author also believes that everyone should decide for themselves whether sucking oleander stalks is hazardous or not.

To its credit, the article leaves out appeals to Quantum Mechanics as a possible mechanism.

'Luthon64

It’s not a 200 year old misconception as you think. It is grounded solidly on scientific principles. There is lot of research in homeopathy medicine

http://knol.google.com/k/dr-nancy-malik-bhms/scientific-research-in-homeopathy/pocy7w49ru14/2

There have been more than 130 research studies published in 52 journals. How can you deny that?

Yes, it is. In fact, it’s a 200-year-old misconception and a modern superstition. None of its founding principles is borne out by science.

No, it isn’t. It’s loosely grounded on pseudoscientific principles and wishful, muddy thinking.

Yes, there has. And wherever the studies have been carefully controlled, your precious homoeopathy fails.

I am equally impressed by the far greater number of research papers on cold fusion published in assorted physics and chemistry journals. Publication bias, confirmation bias and more wishful thinking add up to “proof” on the strange little world homoeopaths inhabit.

'Luthon64

vote on news24 today

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_YJm3BqMvyLk/TMaZPi3YghI/AAAAAAAABRU/JQwpDXYstNI/poll.jpg

Prime, prime material for a Pharyngulalation.

Sends a mail in hopeful optimism to PZ.

I have already answered lots of questions asked by skeptics of homeopathy medicine. I am tired of answering again and again. So I have listed most common FAQ on homeopathy

http://knol.google.com/k/dr-nancy-malik-bhms/faq-a-on-homeopathy/pocy7w49ru14/11

Still if something is not answered feel free to ask.I would be more than happy to answer you.

can anyone say troll?

Troll.

No, you’re not. Just Google “Dr Nancy Malik” to see just how not tired you are. Some might even call it an obsession. (Do you get a homoeopathic remedy for that?) Then again, what you call “answering” is typically little more than evasion and fabrication.

With a suitable meaning of “answer,” that’s probably true. See the immediately preceding paragraph.

'Luthon64

Good of you to offer, Nance. May I ask why you insist on peddling your homeocrap on a SKEPTICAL forum like this? Do you really think you are going to get anywhere, or convince anyone? Or do you have some kind of psychological problem, like some deep-seated drive to bash your skull against brick walls? There are plenty of sucker-infested new age forums to post on instead.

came upon this completely randomly, just funny as all hell. surprisingly, from a link on news24.

Dr Charlene Werner at the “Healing the Eye and Wellness Seminar” explains homeopathy

So God in his infinite wisdom sent another Einstein called Stephen Hawkings
i'm sorry, what?
what is a cell? .... Is that mass? Not very much really, so what is that? You can break down the cells into tiny pieces of energy called electrons, protons, neutrons. So the whole body has an infinitesimal amount of mass, but what is the remainder? Energy. ... Now, if you go to study physics, energy cannot be created: .... But we don't know how to destroy it either -- that is not humanly possible. So what we do is take energy and we transform it from one state to another. ... guess what the definition of disease is. It's not mass. We have transformed our energy state into something different. That's what the definition of disease is. So we should be able to re-transform our energy into a previous better state. Right? And, what we do is we use light, we can use sound, we can use homeopathy.
huh? what the hell?
So, how homeopathy works is, whatever your disease process is, it's an energetic change, and if I can find the remedy that matches your state and give it to you when we so choose, what can we do with your energy system? Transform it to a previous better state. And that's how it works.
okaaayyyyy

the funny, it kills me

Oh wow… Just wow. I was already agape when I read:

the whole body has an infinitesimal amount of mass, but what is the remainder? Energy

Mass = Energy, Energy = Mass, they’re the same thing. That’s kinda her point right? Ugh.

So God in his infinite wisdom sent another Einstein called Stephen Hawkings

God sends atheists to earth in his “infinite wisdom”. Why, thanks!

Did you watch the YouTube video of “Dr” Werner (~20 MB) saying these things? To any right-thinking bipedal life form, it’s hilarious drivel bordering on satire but there’s a darker side too. It’s instructive of the lengths the woo-woo brigade is prepared to go to when inventing fairytales that are meant to support their ridiculous notions, and unfortunately far too many people are taken in by such wild flights of noxious delirium because, after all, they come from an “expert.”

'Luthon64

I wouldn’t trust a doctor that’s willing to BOMB her neighbor for letting the dog go on her lawn… Maybe it’s just me. (wtf!!)

it seems, the woo-monger needs only use large words, and complicated theorems, to have the average woo get that glazed over look, and start reaching for his wallet.
quite sad actually.

i can totally understand and follow that molecules vibrate, since motion of the particles is, well, science (i’m no physycist, so im waffling totally here). so yes, i have read aplenty about modern warfare maybe moving towards sound waves weaponry, and being able to manipulate people’s brainpatterns by means of introducing vibrations or what the hell ever.

but to allude, that by introducing (and that’s what i’m following here) some hocus pocus form of medicine, with the aim of vibrating at some or such frequency, to cure whatever ails you… i cant see that happening.
sure, maybe, if one has a tumor, and say, this tumor, by the nature of it’s growth, might respond to an introduced source of soundwave, from a machine that concentrates the effects on the tumor, then sure. why not. i’m sure that’s how they get rid of kidney stones these days?
but to randomly ingest some muti… (wtf!!)

We are stupid! All we have to do is coat some Kudu droppings with sugar / honey, give it a catchy name, get Mefiante to write something in science sounding words, get GCG to market it and we can make money. Lots of it. Ancient African Medicine or AAM. This is the cradle of human kind after all - they survived back then so it must be good! Better than the old Chinese stuff.

Maybe we should get Tele (what happened to him?) to write it. He can say a lot without saying a lot.

Not to derail the thread, but he’s on a self-accorded mission to instruct all of us grey-matter-deficient mortals (i.e. the rest of humanity) on the finer points of the universe’s detailed internals and workings over at the MyBB forums.

As for your idea re AAM, while meant as a joke, doing so would effectively legitimise woo-woo tactics. Remember that there is no idea so completely ridiculous that someone, somewhere won’t buy into it.

'Luthon64