Astrophotos

The Eagle nebula is a bit clearer. I took more photos at a higher ISO and added them to the other day’s pics.

My best Trifid nebula so far. 50 Exposures of 120 seconds each at ISO 800. The object is now high in the early evening. All my previous attempts were through a thicker part of the atmosphere.

Trifid again but here I combined two evenings data.

They’re getting better and better!

Two very bad pictures of M27 or the Dumbbell nebula. Last night, 39 photos of 120 seconds stacked in an App called Nebulosity. A few tweaks in Photoshop to no avail. Take me out the back now before I do more damage.

This image of M42 took me from 12:30 to 3 am on Wednesday night to do the imaging. I took 50 pics but only used 17 in the end, so this is about 38 minutes worth of data.

That one came out rather nice! :slight_smile:

NGC 253 or the Sculptor galaxy. Also called the Silver Dollar galaxy. Far too much noise. This astrophotography comes with a very steep learning curve. (wtf!!)

The Tarantula nebula. This is almost 3 hours of data taken over two nights from my backyard. According to the Bortle light-pollution scale, Middelburg rates at 5-6. It came out rather colourless. When I took pictures from a dark site in the Freestate, I got lovely green tones, and that was with only 40 minutes of data. Looks like I need another 3 hours to add to this.

Nothing short of astounding really… that we can “directly” observe such immensity.

Here I’ve done a better job with the Tarantula.

NGC 346 in the Small Magellanic Cloud.

Running man nebula. 2.2 hours of data taken over two nights. Need more data, still a bit grainy.

I’ve just realised these are high res and I can copy the URL with right-click, paste into a new tab, to get the beeeeg version. Very nice.

Tweefo, we don’t deserve you.

Fantastiese foto. Voorwaar 'n produk van baie gedult en vaardigheid.

Thank you for the compliments. This was/is for me a very steep learning curve. Looks like I have mastered the basics now, but there are still some disasters where I just have to delete a whole evening’s data.

The Keyhole Nebula and Wishing well star cluster. 31 Photos of 210 seconds each, stacked together to produce this one. Taken on Sunday night from my back garden. Something to do during lockdown, if only the clouds would comply.

Tweefo dis 'n merkwaardige foto. Mens vergeet maklik hoeveel werk in so iets ingaan. Dankie vir die deel. Kan jy die nebula deur jou teleskoop raaksien met die oog, of verg dit 'n kamera?

All great stuff - you’re an inspiration. With the sudden clear skies we have nowadays, I have been digging a bit into naked eye sky watching, with a bit of help from Stellarium. Of course, the light pollution is still with us. Dare we hope Eskom collapses completely? :slight_smile:

Running Chicken nebula. Rigel no, could not see anything from my light-polluted home. Even on the pre-processed photos, one could only see the cluster clearly.