Astrophotos

Love it. You are truly a master of rarefied photon manipulation. Those colours!

Well, got up in the wee hours this morning to watch the Lyrid meteor shower. Stood around in the cold for half an hour, saw one very brief, dim one, and it wasn’t a Lyrid.

Conclusions: The Lyrid meteor shower is a Chinese hoax. And I should never take up astrophotography, because if I have this luck with naked eye astronomy, you can imagine what my astrophotos will look like.

I think I’ll leave it to our resident master… :slight_smile:

No master. Spend the whole of last night out there with nothing to show. Different problems with the equipment and me trying to solve it. In the end, a low battery pack was the signal to call it a night.

Enough to make one long for the days when you sat looking through the eyepiece, with sketchpad in hand. :slight_smile:

NGC 3576 or the Statue of Liberty nebula.

Very well done Tweefo.

I tried getting a pic of the comet c/2020 f8 (SWAN) which is currently all the rage. I found the first step difficult already - dragging myself out from under the down at 05H00. That’s five-ay-em.* When I eventually found the comet, it was behind a palm tree, and not accessible to the business end of the camera which is joined to the telescope, which is sitting on a mount affixed to a pedestal cast into terra firma. This palm tree has been pushing my eastern horizon ever higher over the years, and now I’m robbed of every celestial marvel below 40 degrees in that direction. I know when I’m beat.

(* Another unfortunate part of rising first in this household is the looks you get later when it becomes known that you cooked coffee only for yourself.)

NGC 3603 from last night. A difficult target with my equipment, plus I struggled a lot with the processing, that’s why it’s too red. Maybe I’ll redo it on another day, but I am tired of this object now. It is actually a star cluster inside the nebula but my equipment is too small to resolve it, I think.

Messier 83 or the Southern Pinwheel galaxy.

That is amazing.

The Leo Triplet galaxies taken last night from my backyard.

Lagoon nebula last night.

Getting even better.

I skipped most of this video because it’s hemisphere-centric and, hopefully by now we all know SpaceX launched their dudes.

However the latter part (linked at time) contains some cool stuff: A new “closest” (quoted because who knows…) black hole that can be “seen” (located) from southern skies with the human eye. And a new candidate explanation for FRBs.

Video.

The Trifid nebula last night. Seeing was bad, so not my best Trifid. 39 Frames of 240 seconds each.

Pragtig!

The Prawn nebula.

The Lobster, or also called “The War and Peace Nebula”. Sorry about the spelling mistake. I’ve got no idea how to edit it. (I flattened the layers and saved it in Photoshop before I realised my mistake). War and Peace name is because there is supposed to be a dove to one side and the big part is supposed to look like a skull. My imagination, however, is seriously lacking so I cannot see it.

I think I can possibly see the skull, but even though a bird watcher, I see no dove. As for the pease, you could simply claim you were making punny jokes on the subject of whirled peas, and spelled it like that because that’s how it’s spelled in the Game of Thrones series. :slight_smile:

More likely because you are a bird watcher.

Nice work Mr T!

I did the War and Peace nebula again. I added some more photos, so this picture is 3.2 hours worth of data. But I should have stretched it a bit more as my previous effort looks better. I also managed to not make a spelling mistake I think.