Epic Fail...on who'se behalf?

Anyone who had played any kind of "quest/adventure/fps computer game has played a version of D & D. I just thoroughly enjoyed getting together with mates and letting our imaginations run riot.

There is Munchkin which is more approachable for non gamers, especially Munchkin Fu : kill the monster, steal the treasure, karate chop your buddies in the back.

@brianvds: As long as the bingo is drinking bingo.

Yeah, yeah, you had a hand in it, the Fireblade is a beautiful bike, but damn, that pillion seat is uncomfortable… :wink:

So you know each other, then?

Rigil

That’s what I had in mind: by that time, I’d have to get a lady very thoroughly drunk before I’ll get anywhere with her. :slight_smile:

I recently found out from a friend that all the folks who play lawn bowls usually get very tiddled beforehand. Which makes sense as I don’t see any other way you can play with a odly weighted ball that never goes in the direction you want it to go (G&T anyone?).

yep, Mutton dressed as lamb and Faeries doth fly (off her bike that is). We used to ride together in the good old bad days when I was still a single biker chick. I got picked up by a Tjop instead and am now a happily married ex-biker-chick (although the bike is still in the garage and I occassionally go park my bum on the seat with a nostalgic wistfullness). Sigh… :confused:

Most people wouldn’t be seen dead playing bowls, so I would guess the alcohol also helps to lower inhibitions. :slight_smile:

It makes perfect sense to allow participants in such high risk and extreme sports to celebrate/nurse their impending victory/defeat before the start of the game. I mean, what if something happens in play that leaves you unable to lift a tumbler for a month?

I bought a good-as-new set of carpet bowls - the mini version of the lawn variety - from Cash Crusaders long ago. These are small enough to quickly kick under the furniture if a risk of being spotted arise.

Rigil

Guys get real: bowls has the highest fatality rate behind show jumping…it’s a high risk sport: ;D Not that I play it…prefer water polo @ 67.

I see Bowls is all stereotyped and taboo around here. Must be an age thing. In my twenties a whole whack of us used to go lawn bowling. It’s a fun group activity, it’s not too taxing, you get some sun, talk shit and get wasted.

What’s not to like? (besides the obvious “In my day, only old folks played bowls uphill both ways in the snow” thing).

I was at college with a springbok croquet player. He tried to convince us that it was a really dirty, physical game. Hmm. My girlfriend back then didn’t realize what a superb athlete she was dating till she saw my pool trophies…

Change of sport. One of our teachers at school was the Springbok captain of the SA Jukskei team. He got disqualified in a game against America (yes they play Jukskei over there as well) for playing with a weighted jukskei. And you thought Rugby was a dirty game. Can Jukskei be classified as a sport? Suppose so, if chess can be.

Hey, my dad was into jukskei for a while! But his were only very social matches. Maybe that’s why I don’t recall any allegations of cheating or anabolic steroid abuse. :slight_smile:

When I was a conscript in the army, I participated in jukskei for a while. It’s actually quite a fun game. A sort of Boere-version of bowls.

What in the world is Jukskei? Beside a very polluted river?

It’s a team game that’s a bit like lawn bowls — except that instead of bowling with oblate spheroids, they use rolling pins with one handle cut off.

(With this in mind, the game also parenthetically serves as a metaphor shedding light on the extent to which Afrikaners are generally prepared to fall in line with what the rest of the world considers reasonable…)

'Luthon64

I think there are many games like Jukskei throughout the world. Throwing horseshoes for example or curling, skittles etc. Without knowing the origins I think, the Voortrekkers started jukskei with the Jukke they had to alleviate boredom on the trail. In days gone by, Jukskei tournaments were very popular and people used to trek to get to the Nagmaal and meet friends and play games like Jukskei. In all honesty a better way to pass the time than to play computer games but then that’s how technology has influenced the world.

Brian, anything is better than computer games.

I feel sorry for those kids who don’t know how fun it is to get out and about, build castles, get grubby, climb trees… They will grow up into very boring adults.

I think the game’s named for the thing that is actually thrown, which I think is a piece of an ox-wagon called a jukskei (the other piece is–according to a Scottish friend–the thistle boom, but that may only apply to Scottish ox-wagons).

Quite so. People across the world, after a drink or two, seem hell bent on lobbing articles of various shapes and descriptions over short distances. You’ve mentioned a few … the French, to add to the list, are famous for their boules.

The juk and the skei are indeed parts of an ox wagon assembly. The juk joins two oxen over the shoulder area, and the skeie seperate (or skei) the oxen from each other by doing service as wedges perpendicular to the juk.

Rigil