Nigerian grad student uses magnets to 'prove' gay marriage is wrong

Well, there you have it…

Nigerian grad student uses magnets to ‘prove’ gay marriage is wrong

A man of breathtakingly stupidity and staggering ineptitude.

How the fuck did he graduate from anything?

Ja, the magnetic attraction of false analogy and sympathetic magic. Quite apart from its monumentally vacuous inanity, I’m convinced this claim is not new. I seem to recall much the same “argument” being put forward by religious fundamentalists who use it to argue that homosexuality is “unnatural” — the irony being that in their view “natural” is always and wholly subordinate to “supernatural” which, by virtue of its claimed power to produce miracles, must logically then also subsume that which is “unnatural”. There is excellent reason to think that this Nigerian chap’s motivation is religious since he mentions “God” several times in “defence” of his work. If he’s fortunate, he might qualify next year for an Ig® Nobel Prize, otherwise it’s ignominy and obscurity for him.

'Luthon64

Magnets is there anything they can’t do. I mean how do they work anyway?

When some of the electrons in a material are fairly loosely bound, the electron spin vectors can be induced to become more or less aligned in tiny clusters throughout the material (so-called magnetic domains), either temporarily or permanently, and all in much the same direction. Many metals have this loose electron property and this is also why they are good electrical conductors (some of the electrons can move fairly freely among atoms). Moreover, a flowing electrical current also causes the electrons in the conductor to align their spin vectors. When the electron spin vectors become aligned in this way, the net effect is a (usually static) magnetic field surrounding and pervading the material, and this can affect other materials in its vicinity, for example inducing a similar alignment in the same direction in a separate bit of the material, causing the two bits to stick together. For example, a steel nail being picked up using a magnet is itself a magnet while the magnet attracts it (because the magnet induces electron spin vector alignment in the nail) but the nail loses its magnetism as soon as it is sufficiently distant from the magnet.

Read more.

'Luthon64

Thus proving that they are evil gay electrons because they swing the same way and they are loose.

When the electron spin vectors become aligned in this way, the net effect is a (usually static) magnetic field surrounding and pervading the material,

A field of evil sin that surrounds them and pushes away all good things.

a similar alignment in the same direction in a separate bit of the material, causing the two bits to stick together.

Not even going to go there.

Well, I must admit you’ve absolutely got me there, BM. :wink:

Are you going to collaborate with Nigerian bloke? Or publish your own extension to his hypothesis? >:D

'Cluethon64

To roll out the logic to include some equally scientific counterexamples:

From mathematics: Apples and oranges don’t add, hence heterosexuality is nonsensical.

From mechanics: Opposite force vectors decelerate, hence heterosexuality is dynamically unproductive.

From organic chemistry: Identical carbon atoms form long chains, hence homosexual orgies are natural.

From anatomy: Limbs of unequal length will make you walk with difficulty, hence homosexual pairing is optimal.

From inorganic chemistry: A pure element cannot be contaminated by adding to it more of the same element, hence heterosexuality is dirty.

From hydrodynamics: The pressure at a given depth is the same everywhere, hence homosexual people understand each other better.

From botany: Most ornamental plants carry only one type of bloom, hence heterosexuality is ugly.

From zoology: Dolphins.

From biochemistry: Mitosis yields two identical cells, hence the product of any process marked by high fidelity is homosexuality.

From geo-zoology: You can kill two birds with one stone, but a good rock is immune to the onslaught of any number of birds.

Rigil

We certainly won’t be extending anything when in the vicinity of eachother. Nor will there be any attraction! :smiley:

'Cluethon64

I saw that!

Rigil, as ever, the most compelling counterargument must of course come…

From theology: There is but one god, therefore homosexuality is necessarily divine.

'Luthon64

Amen to that!

One god which is called “Die Here”, right?

This kind of “amazing scientific research” explains everyone who does not live in Africa thinks we are cavepeople who have giraffes and lions as pets and use fire that we made by rubbing two sticks together to roast the wild pig that we killed with our spears.

That English or Afrikaans? ::slight_smile:

'Ruethon64

Mmmmm, roast wild pig…

Ja maar jy moet mos nou onthou hy is eintlik drie outjies in eengerol.

Rigil

I believe he prefers asexual reproduction.

Of course it is, it’s Di-viiiine babe, just divine!

Dis hoekom hy eintlik die liewe jirre jissis god is…

Dit is nou ook ’n punt. Hy’t mos dan ook iets soos “Go forth and multiply!” bevel gegee nadat hy die grootgedeelte van die mensdom verdrink het. Díe feite wys daarop dat die ou knorrmoer in werklikheid ook gemaklik was met threesomes en foursomes, selfs dalk swinging ook…

Maar só ’n teologie, nè!?

'Sleuthon64