Threatened by a Christian

Now Steve-boy plan the revenge of the atheists for your next gig…BUT they must all be gay bodybuilders and hit on this poephol BIGTIME! >:D and let us know the result…

Paraphrasing Bill Hicks:

“I was doing this show in [some hick town], and after the show some guys confronted me in the parking lot:
(southern accent) “Hey mister, we didn’t like some of the things you said in there about Jesus”
“So… forgive me.”
Well, after I was released from hospital…”

This is why I’m sending my kids for Karate lessons just like I did (and am) from a young age. The point, however, would not be to beat the guy up. One of the core tenets is “Self control”, and that self control has made me walk away from many fights, the bigger person. Yes, I could deck the guy, but that’s not the point. To not push your luck in the first place, is the much harder, and better thing to do. (But it is nice knowing if that doesn’t pan out, you can still pack the punch)

Respect Steve, also for having the balls to keep chirping even though you were obviously in an uneasy situation.

The bystanders were probably just as afraid of this brute as you were.

To his credit he did at first say he was the one asking questions and said he had one more to ask. But the other guy just shouted him down - and he is a sweet gay guy who also didn’t want to exacerbate the situation so he just shut up.

This is where I think GCG is correct in her interpretation of the git being the “alpha male” type. He was actually there with Monica vd Merwe (the model on who won Rapport model-of-the-month last week) and was clearly trying to “be-the-man”.

And BMonster - you are also correct - had I pushed my luck and given a clever chirp it would have turned ugly. I felt like saying that if he was looking for a fight he should pick on another Christian because atheists are non-confrontational (would love to have seen his face before his fist turned out my lights heheHE).

Walking away was probably, in retrospect, the most “manly” thing to do, but I will confess, I didn’t feel very manly. I felt hurt and rejected and shaken to the core.

You guys are the BEST. Thanks for all the good thoughts and kind words - and I can see you share my shock and anger and it helps.

I feel your pain, I’ve been in a number of not quite violent but definitely hosting situations. I’ve been told by so called friends that I will burn in hell with a smile on their face, all the while being completely serious. I eventually refused to back down, this has had the effect that most people who challenge my views eventually disappear, leaving me not all that popular.

There is no question in my mind that having been faced with a similar situation I would have stood my ground and had the crap beat out of me, I would probably have tried to press criminal charges and failed. Sure it hurts but considering how it could have ended you came out fine, forget about it and go on.

I’m guessing your company wasn’t close friends, I’d actually want to see what happens if someone like that challenges me and the group I usually hang out with, we’re usually 5 Atheists, an Agnostic and a extremely laid back Christian. If the pressure builds give us a shout, we’d love to go have a beer with someone Intelligent.

O, and since this is my first post, hi everyone :slight_smile:

Quite right - not close friends - just regular customers at one of my gigs who have come to be acquaintances (not really friends - just friendly customers). Your crowd sounds awesome - are you in Pretoria/Jhb? Do you ever get to SITP? We could do some Christian-bashing some time (metaphorically speaking of course, no violence please, we’re atheists ;D).

So … s3c … welcome to Skeptics.za. You will find many like-minded people here and I, for one at least, hope you find and forge some cyber-friendships here as many of us have.

Thanks for the welcome, I’m from Pretoria East. Not familiar with SITP, gimme a clue?

Welcome s3c,

SITP, is Skeptics In The Pub.There are monthly meetings and I think there is a regular one in Pretoria. I’m sure Steve can give you more info. :wink:

mdg

Is that the meeting Steve normally attends by himself? ;D (sorry, that was cruel >:D)

Mintaka

LOL Yes - that’s the one. But I’ve given up on finding skeptics in Pretoria so now attend the one in Jo’burg. s3c, follow this link because there is one in Cresta this Wednesday night (if you feel like braving the highway). I’m gonna try and be there but haven’t RSVP’d as “yes” coz I’m not sure.

Here is the link: Redirecting...

Oh … and s3c … please send me a private message on email (go to my profile for this) - maybe we can make a Pretoria SITP of our own - coffee for both the skeptics in Pta heheHE >:D

maybe we can make a Pretoria SITP of our own - coffee for both the skeptics in Pta heheHE

This is how the original SITP started, with Angela - The Skeptic Detective and James - Acinonyx Scepticus. It grew from there, so don’t feel bad if it’s just the 2 of you to start off with.

mdg

hey!!!
the midrand sceptic is being left out to dry here!!!
waar de moer must i go?

I’m also in Pretoria East. Can’t do Wednesdays though. Sorry I missed the last one. Don’t remember why I did though, but I am sure I had a valid excuse at the time… :-[

If you guys want to set up a May SITP let me know, I’ll set up the Facebook event. The main problem is that someone has to take the lead, and commit to being there, otherwise it’s more a situation of people pitching up, there’s no one there, and then they don’t come back.

I normally arrange the Pretoria SITP, but I can’t attend this month, so I haven’t made any arrangements.

Midrand-ers are lucky enough to go to both GCG - you gonna be in Jozi tonight? Cresta is a bit far for me, not distance-wise but because of having to fight that farking highway, but I’m gonna try because the last one (in Edenvale) was awesome.

Lilli

I’m also in Pretoria East. Can’t do Wednesdays though.

I usually can’t do Weds either - time is such a bugger sometimes. Heck, I work at night so it’s always gonna be difficult. Maybe we can find some way to find a common time/day because you know … it’s really worth it. How often do you get to spend an entire night without having to watch what you say regarding religion?

And Mandarb

I normally arrange the Pretoria SITP, but I can’t attend this month, so I haven’t made any arrangements.

Thanks for doing it in the past. I would gladly do the arranging but I’m not too good at that kind of thing. Next week Tuesday (the 11th of May) I will be attending a debate on the Kalam cosmological argument by Dr Craig at the University of Pretoria. Maybe we could all meet there (at the Philosophy dept), add our skeptic-wisdom, and then hit the pub afterwards.

Could be fun …

More nights than days… seems the woo-woos need their beauty sleep while all the fun people come out to play when the sun sets. ;D

Agreed, sounds like fun - not an extremely challenging theory to punch holes in though… What time? And which one is the philosophy department’s building?

Steve, give me the time, and if you can, a bit more detail on precisely where (UP is pretty big), and I’ll create a event.

Cresta is a goodly 25kms from my work. Fighting the traffic getting on and off at Rivonia, William Nicol, Beyers, Malibongwe. Doesnt work.
Menlyn is 36 kms.
Pretoria east is 40kms.
Edenvale is 23kms.

all in all, too far to go when you are fighting traffic. at night, work roadworks, and taxi’s. I’m willing and able to drive up to like 15kms, but that’s my limit.

Fair enough. Suggest a place in the direction of Pta East, I would be willing to meet you half way :slight_smile:

It depends on what time on the 11’th but I like the University Of Pretoria idea, anyone have some more details on the event?