South African Skeptics in the pub

Hey guys

Is there any chance that we can do a Skeptics in the Pub on Monday the 1st of June? I will be in town that weekend so it would be great to join you all :slight_smile:

I’ll post the details on FB tomorrow morning - no access at work :frowning:

Angela

Yes, the 1st of June can work for me. I might be late (I will tell you on the day if I am late) depending on what happens at work, but I would really like to see the Durban sceptics again. :slight_smile:

James

Yeah could work.

Hi all. Raise one for me, I’m still in the wrong hemisphere to make it :frowning:

Well, it will only be me because Michael isn’t coming up this time. But I’m keen to see all you folks…
I’m setting up the Facebook invite now.

Where is it being held? Or is that still under discussion?

James will set the venue within the next day or so. Hang on in there :slight_smile:

Pray silence as “The James” prepares decree the location of the next meeting … :stuck_out_tongue:

I have no idea. I have been offline since Thursday. Does anyone have suggestions? I am checking who’s RSVP’d on FB … it all depends on who’s where and how far they have to travel - I don’t like spamming everyone but I’m going to ask the confirmed attendees to make suggestions. And here at the forum too, for those not on facebook, please make some suggestions and we’ll see where it goes from there.

Keep in mind there are some “tentative” RSVPs from Pretoria. They have to drive a lot further, so Alberton and Vereeniging will be out of the question (sorry ladies ;)). If all else fails it’s back to Ogilvy’s. Let’s see where the suggestions lead.

James

Well, I’m happy with (almost) anywhere. I will be coming from Alberton and spending the night in Midrand so anywhere around Midders is good for me. Here is a list of pubs that won’t kill you;
http://www.midrand.net/entertainment.html#pubs
Of those I’d say that the Baron & Farrier is the easiest to find.

Yeah I’m a Pretoria ouk, so I’d prefer not going to the south of Joburg. But I can’t suggest any pubs in Joburg, only been to a couple of clubs.

I’m in Randburg so whatever you guys do, I’m sure it’s fine with me.

Okay, by the end of today we need to decide the location. So far the suggestions are:

• Tony’s Pub, Malanshof, Randburg (it’s near to the big Virgin Active fitness centre in Randburg)
  • Ogilvy’s Pub, Midrand (it’s between the Boulders Shopping centre and the N1 highway)
  • Baron & Farrier Pub, Corporate Park Centre, Midrand

There was a request on FB to have the event near Pretoria, but there was no suggestion with that so perhaps Midrand will be okay for the P’towners.

Add a specific suggestion and then everyone who plans to attend, let us know which you prefer. Thanks.

James

I’m going to say Tony’s because it’s closest to me. ;D

Either Ogilvy’s or B&F, but Tony’s is fine with me as well. Just a bit more distance.

Just a heads up, Baron and Farrier has closed down, now a spot called Dukes… is ok, but don’t know if they are open on Monday nights.

Thanks for the info MaximusOdi (and welcome to the forum), I was going to pick the Farrier because it’d be nice to try a new place to see if it’s worth becoming a regular location. I’m not that sure it’s a good idea if nobody recommends it. When we meet it may be easier to discuss alternatives. I do think, though, that it should be in Midrand because we’ve had three specific requests for Midrand and only a couple of Jo’burgers wanted Randburg.

Sorry for us Jo’burgers that we have to go North on the N1 a little after rush hour, but we’ve survived previously. :slight_smile:

So, Ogilvy’s (again) from 19h00. Directions to Ogilvy’s are available a few posts earlier in this thread, and on Facebook there’s a google map location and GPS coordinates for those of you who have a fear of paper. :wink:

James

Thanks for sorting that out James - Ill see you guys there on Monday night. And don’t feel too bad about driving through after rush hour; I’ll be coming from Alberton :S

Thanks for the sit down guys, was fun.

Thanks for joining-in, the chat was awesome fun!

James

The next event is up: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=92012918511&ref=nf

Let me know if you need any more details!